Friday, May 2, 2014

Emotional birth experience

Birth is emotional. That's no surprise right? What some may not prepare for is the after experience. The "life goes on" experience. Moms spend time thinking about what they hope for during delivery, when they get an experience that wasn't quite expected, there are many emotions that go along with that. What about the births that go perfectly? The moms that can't complain about a single thing during their delivery. Sounds ideal right?? You may be surprised to find out, those births can actually be a bit of a let down for moms. It's like that great vacation that you are planning and so excited for! It comes, and it goes and then, it's over. I remember when I had my babies, the pregnancy was typical, with monthly, biweekly and then weekly visits to the doctor. You get into a routine of appointments and preparations and then delivery day comes, and you are in the hospital for a few days, you have visitors and flowers and lot's of special treatment and all of the oohs and ahhs over the baby. You get home and you suddenly have no more weekly appointments, no more hospital room service, the visitors stop coming and life is "normal" again. I remember feeling sad as I adjusted to reality. I loved having the hospital experience, I loved the food, I loved the constant check ins (well, not so much in the middle of the night) but there were always people around me and I love being around people! My point today, your feelings and emotions are valid. Just because you had that perfect birth that others would love to experience, doesn't mean you can't feel let down or a bit bummed that it's all over and that it was for lack of a better word "uneventful".

No comments:

Post a Comment