Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Why didn't my doula hold my baby at the hospital?

Have you ever wondered why doulas don't often offer to take that sweet new little bundle of joy out of your hands for a snuggle at the hospital? I would *love* to hold that new baby of yours! I love babies, especially brand new ones that are still all curled up because they haven't even realized they have room to stretch in their new world! As a doula, I am there for you, mom and dad. My focus is on what is best for your family. Though I would love to hold your baby, the benefit is a selfish one for me, not a benefit for that newborn of yours.

Baby was just born.
Baby is adjusting to this crazy new life that was just thrust upon her (or him).
Baby is bonding with mom and dad.
Baby instinctively knows the love and comfort and warmth of mom's arms and mom's smells and mom's heartbeat.
Baby thrives in mom's arms.

You see, it's not about what I want at that moment. Doulas work to keep emotions of a new birth at bay, and focus on being fully present to the needs of the new family. That is what sets us apart from family members that are eagerly awaiting their invitation into the room at the hospital! Inside, I am overjoyed for you! I enjoy your baby from afar, I sneak longing looks at the baby, my heart swells for you, parents, who have endured the marathon of labor and delivery and I am thrilled at the moments after birth where all of the hard work pays off and you have your baby in your arms. The baby you have been waiting for is here, in the flesh and you are all soaking each other in! It's a beautiful and precious experience to watch from the outside. That is why your doula doesn't hold your baby at the hospital. Trust me, she wants to. But what she loves more, is watching you interact with your new precious bundle in this time of newness.
Courtesy of Google search 

No comments:

Post a Comment